My friend Emily and I had this idea of making a mix tape with the songs we have Shazam’d (AKA the worst mix my ears could ever make). I have close to no filter and I love pop music, consider yourself warned! These are songs I’ve heard over the past 2 years that I wanted to know more of. Most of these are when I’m out in public; either at a store, or out to eat, in passing, in movies, etc. Unfortunately, there are some that I couldn’t get Shazam to recognize, but here are the ones that I managed to get that I enjoyed. Message me if you would like a copy of this tape!
1. La Sera - Devils Hearts Grow Gold This song, very chill. So great and gives me nostalgic feelings of spending the warm summer with a loved one, in slow motion. La Sera is a recent project from a former Vivian Girls member.
2. Jive Bombers - Bad Boy I heard this 50s doo-wop of a banger when I was watching John Waters’ Cry-Baby. It’s been one of my favorite movies for the longest time and I got excited when I discovered this app and was able to find out who it was by!
3. David Bowie - The Man Who Sold The World I was out at lunch one day and I, for the life of me, couldn’t figure out who this was by. His distinctive voice and I didn’t have it! This is embarrassing in all counts because I thought I was a big Bowie fan. What the shit.
4. Squirrel Nut Zippers - Mean to Be 1930s swing-revival group from NC. I forget where I was when I heard this, but it was the right place, right time kind of thing. It was very pleasant and I had to know who it was. I was most likely at Harrison St.
5. The Dearly Beloved - Flight Thirteen 60s garage rock hit. This song would always come on at work and I always wanted to steal the guitar riff. The verse in this song makes it! So spooky! The garage rock station on Pandora played some deep garage cuts from the 1960s and beyond.
6. Makthaverskan - Antabus I have no clue where I heard this song, but I must’ve enjoyed it enough to Shazam it? Listening to it again, I don’t think I enjoy it as- no wait, the vocals just kicked in. This is good. Swedish dream pop, executed in a fast and punk fashion. They’re on Run For Cover Records apparently.
7. Bleached - Love Spells This, I remember hearing this song, but I can’t remember where. Anyways, I have this fucking LP, but I never made the effort to crack it open and spin it. I will now! This a faster, upbeat number, surf-rock/punk kind of feel? Just listen to it, it’s a fun song. The whole LP rules too.
8. Indigo Girls - Least Complicated I can’t even imagine where I heard this song. I was probably at the mall or something, because I can imagine this playing at one. That or Hobby Lobby… Anyways, this song’s chorus is what captured me, I can’t even explain myself. Contemporary folk rock duo from the 90s.
9. Blondie - Maria I was on tour with Barge and we were at a gas station in the middle of god knows where at 3am, I’m dying and in dire need of sleep and then this song comes on. The chorus comes out of no where and I turn to Emily and I remember saying “holy shit that chorus is amazing, who is this?” I’m only familiar with 1970s Blondie, so this came as a surprise for me, ‘cause this song came out in 1999.
10. Herman’s Hermits - Can’t You Hear My Heartbeat I was at the beach in Ocean City, MD with my ex-girlfriend and her family when I heard this and wanted to note it so I didn’t forget it. We were tired one day and decided to put on the 60s station on TV and relax.